By Kevin Williams
Beans are a great way to get extra fiber, protein, and vitamins. SIGH, I was never a fan of baked beans (geez, I realize how often I say that now), BUT, I do like them now. I mean, I doubt I could just open up a can of Van de Kamps and be happy, but baked beans scooped up with a potato chip are pretty good. Baked beans with a little brown sugar. Baked beans with some extra protein, in the case of this recipe, hamburger, added. You could probably add sausage, though, or veggie crumbs. It’s all good. So, while I didn’t like school cafeteria baked beans as a kid, I do like them now as an adult. So there.
Reader Penny took this Amish365 Shaker Baked bean recipe and turned them into a “cowboy baked bean” dish. Cowboy baked beans are popular in Amish settlements, so I appreciated her rendition of this recipe.
- Cook 1 lb. hamburger with one diced onion, drain and set aside.
- 4 cups navy beans *
- 2 1 /2 cups hot water
- 1 onion
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 /2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 /2 cup tomato catsup
- * Soak the beans overnight. *
- Drain and cook in fresh water until tender.
- Peel onion and place in bottom of well-buttered roasting pan.
- Drain beans and save liquid.
- Pour beans into buttered pan.
- Add molasses,butter, salt, dry mustard, and catsup to bean liquid that you saved and pour over beans.
- Lid on roasting pan for 3 hours.
- Add more water whenever necessary.
- Add hamburger & onions after 1½ hours. Still well.
- Remove cover for last half hour and brown well.
MRS. YODER’S FOUR-BEAN BAKED BEANS: This is an amazing dish, similar to the above, but with a nice bacon-y flavor. Click here to enjoy.
PORK N BEANS: This is an amazing recipe from Ethridge, Tennessee. Click here for the recipe.
SEMI-GUILT FREE FUDGE: I am always so intrigued with this recipe. You may be thinking, what does this have to do with beans? Well, it is fudge made from beans. The one time I made it, it was really, really good…it just didn’t “set” like maybe it should have…it was, I think, too creamy, but I’d love to take another crack. Click here for the recipe.
AMISH WESTERN MEAL IN ONE: Wow, I’d love to have a photo of this. This recipe comes to us from an Amish settlement in Montana and is choc full of navy beans and burger. Check out this amazing sound chuck-wagon type recipe here.