The Amish Cook: Homemade Pizza Dough
- HOMEMADE PIZZA DOUGH
- 1 1 /2 cups warm water (105 – 115)
- 1 packet of yeast
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1 /2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- Place ¼ cup warm water in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle yeast over water; stir in sugar.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add remaining water, oil, and salt.
- Stir in flour until dough pulls away from the side of bowl.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead until smooth, 8-10 minutes.
- Coat a large bowl with cooking spray.
- Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- Let rise in warm place until almost double in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Punch down dough.
- Coat two 12 pinch pizza pans with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle pans with cornmeal.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll dough to fit prepared pans.
- Hint: letting the dough rest for 10 minutes after it is about half the size will help it stretch easily the rest of the way.
- Press dough against edge to form rim.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven and top with pizza sauce and your favorite toppings. Once you have your toppings on bake for another 15-20 minutes.