THE AMISH COOK
NEW YEAR'S SAUERKRAUT WITH SAUSAGE
1 pound bulk sausage, browned
1 large can or bag sauerkraut
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 diced onion
1 cup ketchup
Mix all ingredients. Bake at 275 for 4-5 hours. Stir occasionally. You may want to add a little water to desired consistency.
And if you are tired of all the holiday sweets putting on pounds, try this healthier alternative.
GLORIA'S GUILT-FREE FUDGE
- 2 cups dried pinto beans (or 2 pounds cooked)
- 3 /4 cup coconut oil
- 1 /4 cup butter, browned
- 1 /2 cup peanut butter (unsweetened)
- 1 /2 cup maple syrup or agave
- 3 /4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon stevia powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Soak beans overnight.
- And the next day simmer beans over low heat until soft, approximately 105 minutes or until soft. Beat until nice and smooth.
- Then add remaining ingredients.
- Pat into 9 X 9 inch pan.
- Or form into balls and roll in coconut or chopped nuts if desired.