By Kevin Williams
It is the coffee that adds the unique twist to this favorite supper dish.
Coffee is a staple in most Amish homes, so why not use it to flavor a roast? Leftover coffee is often used to flavor cakes, doughnuts, and even ice cream. Marinating meat in coffee would seem to add a certain richness to the flavor.
Yum! This recipe was shared with us by an Amish woman in Holmes County, Ohio.
- 3-4 lb. beef roast (rump)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- ¼ c. soy sauce
- 1 c. coffee
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 2 onions, sliced
- Sear roast in 1 tablespoon oil on all sides in heavy Dutch oven.
- Mix soy sauce, coffee and seasonings.
- Pour sauce over meat.
- Put half of onions on meat, the other half in sauce.
- Cover and roast 4-5 hours at 325 degrees.