I have had the good fortune of spending the night at an Amish home and making up in the morning to the smell of fresh, puffy cinnamon rolls lifting from the oven. Wow, oh, wow.
Breakfast in an Amish home is usually a pretty hearty affair, that can include anything from sausage to cookies. Some other popular Amish breakfast items include:
- Pancakes: Amish pancakes are made with simple ingredients like flour, milk, eggs, and baking powder. They are typically cooked on a griddle and served with butter and maple syrup.
- Waffles: Amish waffles are also made with simple ingredients and are cooked on a waffle iron. They are typically served with butter and maple syrup, or with fruit toppings like strawberries and blueberries.
- Scrapple: Scrapple is a Pennsylvania Dutch dish made from pork scraps, cornmeal, and spices. It is typically fried and served with eggs and toast.
- Sausage gravy and biscuits: Sausage gravy is a creamy sauce made from sausage, milk, and flour. It is typically served over biscuits or toast.
- Eggs: Eggs are a staple of Amish breakfasts and are often cooked in a variety of ways, such as scrambled, fried, or poached.
- Bacon: Bacon is another popular breakfast item among the Amish. It is typically fried and served with eggs and toast.
- Hash browns: Hash browns are shredded potatoes that are cooked until crispy. They are often served with eggs and bacon.
- Coffee: Coffee is a popular drink among the Amish and is often served with breakfast
Here are five favorite Amish breakfasts (trying to pick just 5 is tough)!
Amish Bacon Treat
Delicious, this is a recipe I discovered in the kitchen of some elderly Amish sisters in Indiana. You'll never want bacon another way!
Old-Fashioned Amish Crumb Cake
Crumb cake is a staple in Amish bakeries. They are easy to make and versatile, serving as a delicious breakfast bread, a dessert, or a snack.
Hearty Amish Breakfast Casserole
Hearty Amish breakfast casserole is baked blend of many wonderful flavors. The dry mustard, the fresh eggs, veggies of your choice, and meats combine with light seasonings to make a near-perfect Christmas breakfast, holiday breakfast, or anytime breakfast. This is an Amish tradition.
Amish Steak and Egg Casserole
a delicious and hearty meal, which can double as dinner if you want "brupper."