THE AMISH COOK
This is part two of our summer recipe series, answering reader requests for different recipes.
HOT BACON DRESSING
- 1 pound bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs (depending on size)
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 4 cups water
- Preheat large skillet, lightly greased to med/high.
- Mix all ingredients, except for bacon, in a mixing bowl.
- Pour ingredients from mixing bowl into skillet and heat just to boiling.
- Add crumbled bacon.
- Add flour or cornstarch to thicken to about the consistency of gravy, and it's done.
- Traditionally, this was served over lettuce, endive, or dandelions
Homemade Chicken Loaf with Peas
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups cooked diced chicken
- ½ cup cooked peas
- Mix ingredients in the order given.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour Let stand 10 minutes before turning out of pan.
- May be served hot or cold
Mennonite Tomato Fritters
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil, minced
- 1 tbsp. parsley, minced
- 1 egg
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 (28 oz.) can tomatoes, drained
- 1 tbsp. onions, minced
- ½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, basil and salt.
- Cut tomatoes into ½ inch pieces and drain further on a paper towel.
- Add them to the flour mixture along with onion, parsley and Worcestershire sauce, but do not mix in. In small bowl, beat egg and add it to the flour-tomato mixture.
- Blend lightly with a fork. Heat oil (about ¼ inch) in fry pan.
- Drop the batter by tablespoons into hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Keep fritters warm in oven until serving. Serves 4 - 6.
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- ½ cup cold coffee
- 1 small can evaporated milk
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ cup nuts or shredded coconut
- Dissolve gelatin in cold coffee.
- Let stand 5 minutes and then melt over hot water until clear.
- Combine evaporated milk, brown sugar, vanilla and milk.
- Add dissolved gelatin and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Add whipped cream and pour into mold and allow to set in refrigerator.,
- Garnish with nuts, coconut or maraschino cherries
- Makes 6-8 servings
Leave a Reply