Okay, I love funny cake. And I love pie. So it stands to reason that funny cake pie would be a hit. This is a popular pie at Amish gatherings.
Reader Barbara tried it for us and had this to say: Would be a great make ahead dessert. This was a pretty simple dessert to make. Mr likes his sweets and this works for him. It is almost a sweet pudding surrounded with a brownie-like bottom and edging in a pie crust, and the top gets a crusty sugar crisp to it!
Like so many Amish confections, the ingredients for this are super basic. Butter, eggs, milk, baking soda, and, chocolate. Yes, when you add chocolate to anything the taste - and calorie - quotient go up.
You can use a store-bought pie crust or the easy and famous Amish365 Pat-A-Pan pie crust, which, literally, takes just a few minutes to make.
The top layer gives it this sort of pretty marbled look.
And when you bake it, it will firm up nicely. Thirty-five minutes was the baking time for this, but you could probably go to 40 or 45 if you want a slightly more golden and crisper crust.
So if you are looking for something that is not quite a pie, but not quite a cake, well, this might be something to try!
🥧 Amish Funny Cake Pie
1 cup sugar
1 beaten egg
¼ cup butter or shortening)
1 cup flour
½ cup milk
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. vanilla
Cream together sugar and shortening. Add the combined milk and egg alternately with flour and baking powder. Add flavoring and set aside until lower part is mixed.
½ cup sugar
6 Tbsp. water
4 Tbsp. cocoa
¼ tsp. vanilla
Mix together the cocoa, sugar, water, and vanilla. Pour into an unbaked pie shell. Over this pour the "top part". The chocolate will come up around the outside edge which gives a nice crusty edge on the finished product. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until firm (toothpick test).
🥧 More Amish Pie Recipes
🖨️ Full Recipe
Amish Funny Cake Pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- ¼ cup butter or shortening
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp. water
- 4 Tbsp. cocoa
- ¼ tsp. vanilla
- Cream together sugar and shortening. Add the combined milk and egg alternately with flour and baking powder.
- Mix together the cocoa, sugar, water, and vanilla
- . Pour into an unbaked pie shell. Over this pour the "top part".
- The chocolate will come up around the outside edge which gives a nice crusty edge on the finished product.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until firm (toothpick test).
- Cool to room temperature and then put in the refrigerator overnight so filling will set. Slice and serve!