By Kevin Williams
I'm always looking for an easy, quick dessert to make. Aster enjoys watching baking and cooking and enjoys helping to stir batter. The "angel bars" I made the other night didn't turn out well, but I fared better last night with these "Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Bars." Yum
This recipe comes to us from Ruth Knepp an Amish cook in Chouteau, Oklahoma. SIGH, it was a delicious bar, but had I realized we had a package of mini-marshmallows in our pantry (I looked but didn't see any, but I didn't look in the right spot) they would have been better. We did have a package of "jumbo marshmallows" with two in it, so I just shredded those up and they did the job, but it would have been better with more marshmallows.
So, for an easy, quick dessert, a classic "stir and bake" bar recipe, try this!
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 /4 cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl, combine sugars and shortening and beat until creamy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Gradually add flour, soda and salt.
- Stir in chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Spread onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 375.