By Kevin Williams
A lot of the hamburger-zucchini recipes in Amish kitchens are drenched in the highly processed Velveeta cheese. Not that there is anything wrong with Velveeta, but if you are watching salt or just don't want to ingest Frankenstein cheese like that, this is an Amish recipe that simply calls for - ahhh - shredded cheddar cheese.
There is plenty of zucchini in this hearty recipe - 3 cups - along with a generous helping of hamburger, so this works as a stand-alone meal or you can pair it with something. My parents tried this and, my Dad, who is not a huge fan of zucchini was impressed. You will be too.
- 3 cups shredded zucchini (peeling before shredded is optional)
- 1 pound ground beef, fried
- 1 ½ cups cracker crumbs
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/ 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 /2 cup butter, melted
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Combine ingredients thoroughly and then pour into a greased 2 quart dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes.
- If desired, additional cheese can be sprinkled on top of the casserole after it is finished baking.
- Test for doneness is just like custard, there should be no wiggle in the middle.