By Kevin Williams
Rosanna shared some wedding scenes in her column this week. Among those scenes were some wedding cake photos. Rosanna says a common wedding cake in her church is "cold water white cake." Yum! We've run this recipe before but with "wedding season" right around the corner for many people, we thought it would be a good time to run this column again. Among the German Baptists weddings are common in May and June, but October is becoming increasingly popular. German Baptist weddings are often held outside, so weather is a consideration.
Plain Kansas Recipe: Rosanna's Homemade Cold Water White Cake
Serves: 2 cakes
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1 /2 cups flour
- Beat egg whites with baking powder until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, cream sugar with shortening.
- Add cold water, vanilla, flour, and pinch of salt.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Pour batter into 9″ round cake pans that are greased and floured.
- Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Frost with your favorite frosting when cool
Leave a Reply