By Kevin Williams
This is a recipe that gets requested from time to time. It’s a delicious pie that is often overlooked and underrated among the Amish’s amazing repertoire of wonderful pies.
Serves: 1 pie
- 1½ c shredded coconut
- 1½ c graham cracker crumbs
- 1½ c chopped pecans
- 1½ c sugar
- 1 c egg whites (4 to 5 egg whites)
- 1 pie crust, homemade or bought
- PREHEAT the oven to 350°F.
- COMBINE the coconut, graham cracker crumbs, pecans, and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Mix in the egg whites (do not beat them first).
- Pour the filling into the unbaked pie shell.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cover the edges only with foil if needed to prevent overbrowning.
- The middle may still look moist, but it will set upon cooling.
- Cool on a wire rack or windowsill until the pie is firm, about 45 minutes.
- Store any leftovers in a sealed container.
- The pie will keep for about 3 days.