By Kevin Williams
Looking for a delicious, easy, flavorful cake?
Try "cold water cake." This is a very old recipe that comes to us from our Plain Kansas columnist, Rosanna Bauman. She says that this is a cake that is very popular at their German Baptist Brethren weddings. So you'll get a cake that is very flavorful.
These are pictures of how our version came out and I can tell you the cake did not last long around here. If you want an easy, flavorful cake, I highly recommend this one.
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1 /2 cups flour
- Beat egg whites with baking powder until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, cream sugar with shortening. Add cold water, vanilla, flour, and pinch of salt.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Pour batter into 9″ round cake pans that are greased and floured.
- Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Frost with your favorite frosting when cool.