By Kevin Williams
This is a comfort food classic that comes straight from the rich traditions of Amish, stick-to-your ribs comfort food. This type of meal is especially enjoyed on cold, cold winter days. This is what I call a “pile meal”, you can just enjoy a big pile of this casserole on your plate and get a hearty bit of chicken, rice, broccoli, cheese, and more in every bite. These are my favorite kinds of meals.
The recipe below has been adapted for non-Amish cooks. We’ve cut corners for you, so can use frozen broccoli, cream of mushroom soup and frozen chicken cubes. But the end result is still an amazing and hearty casserole.
- 2½ cups white minute rice, prepare as directed
- 1-12 oz package frozen broccoli cuts, steam as directed
- 1-22.6 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 2-cups shredded sharp or mild cheddar
- 2 cups of cubed chicken or 1 package Morningstar farms veggie chicken strips, heat as directed and cut into ½” pieces (optional), could also use any other chicken or chicken substitute you prefer
- Salt and pepper to taste)
- 1 sleeve club style crackers
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Prepare rice as directed in a large bowl.
- Steam broccoli as directed and add to rice.
- If using veggie chicken, heat as directed and cut into pieces, add to broccoli and rice mixture. Add shredded cheese and can of cream of mushroom soup, as salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and pour into prepared baking dish.
- With crackers in paper sleeve, crumble with your hands and top casserole.
- Pour melted butter over the top. Bake until golden brown, approximately 25-30 minutes.