Amish meals during the spring are fresh, flavorful, and full of seasonal ingredients. As the weather warms up and the days get longer, Amish families start to spend more time outdoors, working in the fields and gardens. This means that there are more fresh fruits and vegetables available, which are incorporated into many Amish meals.
One of my favorite times to visit Amish homes is in spring because the fresh produce pipeline begins to flow (although I still like summer, best, nothing like sweet corn!)
Some popular Amish springtime dishes include:
- Asparagus is a springtime favorite, and Amish cooks prepare it in a variety of ways. It can be steamed, roasted, or sauteed, and it is often served with a simple vinaigrette dressing.
- Lettuce is a staple of Amish salads, and it is often paired with other spring vegetables, such as cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions.
- Potatoes are another popular ingredient in Amish springtime meals. They can be boiled, mashed, roasted, or fried, and they are often served with meat, poultry, or fish
- Green Beans: In some Amish communities and climates, green beans come early and make for a super supper!
- Chicken is a popular protein source in Amish meals, and it is often roasted, fried, or baked. It is also sometimes used in soups and stews. A "spring chicken" is often a young chicken with more flavorful meat!
- Pork is another popular protein source in Amish meals, and it is often roasted, fried, or smoked. It is also sometimes used in soups and stews. Since most Amish
Amish meals are typically served family-style, with everyone sharing from a common pot or platter. This allows everyone to enjoy the same food, and it also creates a sense of community and togetherness.
Amish meals are simple, but they are also delicious and satisfying. They are made with fresh, seasonal ingredients, and they are prepared with love.
Amish Barbecued Green Beans
A delicious meal-in-one or side dish with a tasty twist. Green beans are a spring staple in some Amish communities and this dish is hearty enough to be supper in itself!
Amish Farmhouse Potatoes
A hearty, delicious dish that is a great meal or side dish! Potatoes stored in cellars over the winter come out in spring and, wow!
Pennsylvania Dutch Pork Chops
A delicious, traditional recipe using freshly butchered pork. Most Amish butcher their pork in late-winter, so spring is when this meat is the freshest!
The Amish Cook: Delicious Italian Grilled Chicken
This is an easy make-your-mouth-water fall-off-the-bone chicken sensation! Use a spring chicken for this spring chicken dish!
Asparagus Goat Cheese Frittata
Most Amish homes have their own steady supply of eggs, so Amish cooks are always on the hunt for recipes to use up the eggs. Most of the time the eggs end up in noodles, cakes, and bread, in addition to being scrambled for breakfast. Recipes like this frittata also can find fans in Amish homes especially when paired with spring asparagus!.
Leave a Reply