The farmhouse kitchens of rural Ohio's Amish Country are filled with recipe boxes containing instructions for the most hearty concoctions. The meals are protein-packed plate-pilers because unlike me, who generally works in front of a keyboard, these meals are meant to feed men who have been in the fields or the cabinet shop all morning working up a sweat and needing a refuel at day's end.
This is a classic Amish meal, that I, and Amish365 readers, can't get enough of. So enjoy this classic recipe that comes from an Amish woman in Ohio.
My parents made this and describe it as a delish dish that is a hearty, cheese mish-mash. They added some sliced mushrooms to the mix which, in my book, you can never go wrong with doing.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 1 1 /2 cups uncooked spaghetti
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 /4 cups cheese
- Cook spaghetti until tender, drain.
- In a skillet, brown beef and onion in the butter.
- Add flour, seasoning, and milk.
- Cook until thick,
- Mix one-half cup cheese with spaghetti.
- Place half spaghetti and cheese mixture in baking dish.
- Top with rest of spaghetti.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.