This recipe for Der Dutchman marinated carrots is super.
The Amish enjoy carrots year-round by freezing or canning them. Amish uses for carrots include:
- Side dishes
Carrots are often sliced and put in with a big roast to add some vegetable nutrients to the dish.
This is a recipe that Amish Cook columnist Gloria Yoder shared last year and I thought with Thanksgiving arriving soon, now would be a good time to share it again. This carrot recipe is AMAZING. Honestly, these carrots tasted more like candy than carrots. I gobbled copious amounts of these. The recipe comes from Der Dutchman, that chain of family-style Amish eateries based in Ohio. Gloria's mom once worked in the kitchen there. Enjoy this recipe!
Serves: serves 6
- DER DUTCHMAN’S MARINATED CARROTS
- 3 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced half inch thick
- 1 1 /4 cups tomato soup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 /2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 /3 cup vinegar
- 1 /2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion, cut into rings
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- Cook carrots until tender, do not overcook.
- Set aside.
- For the sauce, mix everything together over low for five minutes.
- Then pour over the carrots and mix thoroughly.
- Add onions and peppers if desired. For best results chill for several hours before serving.