THE AMISH COOK
Editor’s Note: Gloria is taking a needed week off to prepare for church services in her home this week and to get caught up on answering reader mail. She is deeply appreciative and grateful for all your kind words, letters, and cards and likes to answer each reader personally. That, though, takes some time and with young children that time can be tough to find! So, enjoy these recipes from Gloria’s collection this week and she’ll be back next week to tell us how the first round of church services went.
First recipe is a great one for the waning days of summer!
QUICK ICE CREAM
2 cups granulated sugar
¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
¾ cup instant Clear Jel
½ teaspoon salt
2 to 3 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 quart frozen, chopped strawberries
- Stir the sugars, clear jel, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add cream, stir vigorously.
- Add vanilla and several cups milk.
- Pour into a quart ice cream freezer.
- Add milk until freezer is 3” close to being filled.
- Freeze with ice cream freezer.
- We like dividing the recipe into small batches and making it in a blender by using frozen milk cubes to freeze it.
- It then has a consistency similar to shakes or smoothies.
- We also prefer using less sugar and replacing it with maple syrup.
This next recipe is a great way to use the summer's garden bounty this time of year!
GLORIA’S GARDEN ROLL-UPS
6 – 10” tortillas (store-bought or homemade)
8 ounces sour cream
8 ounces cream cheese
1 tablespoon ranch dressing mix
1 /2 cup chopped broccoli
1 /2 cup chopped cauliflower
1 cup finely grated cheese
1 cup crumbled bacon or diced ham
1 /2 chopped peppers
Onions to taste
Combine sour cream or cheese and ranch dressing mix. Mix in remaining ingredients. Spread evenly over tortillas. Roll up and refrigerate 5 – 6 hours and slice 1 /2 inch thick. May be served with salsa.
DORCAS RABER'S SCALLOPED CORN
2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
⅔ cup bread or saltine crackercrumbs
1 tablespoon minced onion
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 /2 teaspoon salt
1 /4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Light grease a 2-quart casserole, and set it aside.
Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowland mix until well distributed. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes, until bubbly and golden.
YODER'S ZUCCHINI AND HAMBURGER CASSEROLE
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup flour
- 1 /2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1 /2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 /4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups fried meat of your choice (hamburger is a favorite)
- Beat eggs and batter.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder, onion, and cheese.
- Mix well.
- Fold in zucchini and pour into greased 9 X 9 inch pan
- Sprinkle with black pepper and parsley flakes.
- Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
- Serves 5.