By Kevin Williams
Strawberries are a classic Amish spring staple and what better way than to merge them with another Amish staple: pie. The result is a delicious, refreshing strawberry dessert. Yum! I have had this pie on several occasions and it never fails to be a crowd-pleaser!
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
- Bake at 450° for 8 minutes.
- Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved.
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes or until slightly cooled.
- Meanwhile, arrange strawberries in the crust. Pour gelatin mixture over berries. Refrigerate until set. Garnish with mint if desired. Yield: 6-8 serving