By Kevin Williams
Nothing like some homemade "broomstick cookies" around Halloween. This is a recipe that is popular in Amish communities this time of year and reader Barbara was nice enough to test the recipe for us.
Here is how Barbara described it:
"Was easy to put together, used my hands to mix. I recommend the 15 minutes baking time. That makes a softer cookie, however after leaving to sit for a bit they are becoming more dense. Second batch I did for the 20 minutes and they came off the tray crunchy already. The taste is like a really good brown sugar cookie with a little bit of nut and sometimes a raisin surprise. Mr really enjoyed! I will really enjoy in the morning with my coffee."
So, enjoy these wonderful October surprises!
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1 1 /2 cups shortening
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 /4 cup raisins (cover with water and cook dry)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 /2 cup nuts
- 6½ cups flour
- Mix all ingredients to consistency of pie dough.
- Roll in hand to form broomsticks.
- Place lengthwise on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes
- Let stand a few minutes and top with powdered sugar or frosting.