By Kevin Williams
For the Amish the after-church meal every other Sunday is a time of fellowship and relaxation with close family and friends. To ease the load on the person hosting church services at their home, Amish ladies will bring in casseroles, one-pot meals, and salads to share. These meals serve an important function in the Amish church serving as a sort of "social glue." I scoured the Amish365 archives and the internet for 5 of the best. But these 5 aren't "the best", there are at least 5 more that didn't make this list. Stay tuned tomorrow for those 5!
- 1 pound spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 1 8 ounce cream cheese
- 1 8 ounce sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 pounds hamburger
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 32 ounces of pizza sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste and also your favorite seasoning salt
- 1 16-ounce shredded cheese
- Mix hot, drained spaghetti with cream cheese and sour cream.
- Add milk.
- Fry hamburger and onion.
- Add pizza sauce and seasonings.
- In a greased 9 X 13 inch pan, layer half of spaghetti mixture, then hamburger mixture, then cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes.
- Serves 12.
THE BISHOP'S POTLUCK CHICKEN SAGE CASSEROLE - Click here to enjoy!
WHEN THE BISHOP CALL'S CASSEROLE: Ha, funny name, but great, great chicken casserole from the great folks at RecipeLion! Click here for the recipe!
VEGETABLE PIZZA DELUXE - Veggie pizzas are a mainstay of Amish church gatherings...man, they are good. This one I sampled in Montana. Yum. Click here for the recipe.
AMISH CHURCH NOODLES: Check out this recipe from noted Ohio Amish Country recipe maven, Lee Ann Miller.