Susan Schlabach from The Home Place was nice enough to share her recipe with us for homemade vanilla butter rollouts,which you see in this photo. YUH-UM...these are probably about the best sugar cookie I've tasted and I've tasted many. Too many, probably. But these are superb! The recipe is below. You can also email [email protected] to sign up for their weekly email newsletter where you'll get specials, updates
Vanilla Butter Cut-Outs
- 1½ cups butter softened
- 1½ cups sugar .
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 T. butter softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 114 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Colored sugar, optional
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each In addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to
- the creamed mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface. roll out to ¼ in. thickness.
- Cut with 2-½ in cookie cutters dipped in flour.
- Place 2 in. apart-on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes·or until lightly browned.
- For frosting, combine butter, confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla in a mixing bowl; beat until smooth.
- Spread or drizzle over cookies. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired.
- Yield: about 7 dozen
- - roll out a portion of dough at a time; keep the remaining dough in the refrigerator to prevent
- drying out.
- - check the thickness of the rolled dough with a ruler.
- - the cookie cutter size and shape indicated in the recipe is only suggestion. Feel free to use
- whatever size and shape you like, but remember that may affect the yield.