By Kevin Williams
These campfire pies are becoming increasingly popular among the Amish. The Amish are generally avid outdoors people and a campfire in the summer along with some yummy campfire food is common. Besides the typical campfire goodies of s'mores and hot dogs and hamburgers, a favorite campfire food is "mountain pies."
Recently, when I was at Gloria Yoder's house a package was delivered from the Berlin Seed Company. She was excited for the arrival of the garden seeds she had ordered, but also for the arrival of some mountain pie presses/irons. The pies, which are usually savory, resemble popular fried pies, but are made over an open fire in "pie irons." Thought I'd share the recipe as campfire season and summer grilling is upon us. Enjoy!
- 2 slices bread, buttered on one side
- 2 tablespoon pizza sauce
- 3 tablespoon shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Pizza toppings of your choice (mushrooms, beef, pepperoni, peppers, etc.)
- Place one slice of the bread, buttered side down, onto an over-the-fire sandwich iron.
- Evenly spread the pizza sauce over the bread, then sprinkle the Mozzarella cheese over the sauce. Add additional pizza toppings of your choice.
- Apply the other slice of bread, buttered side up, and clamp the sandwich iron closed.
- Put the sandwich iron into the campfire and cook for about 2 ½ minutes on each side.
- Carefully remove the mountain pie from the sandwich iron and serve.