By Kevin Williams
I posted today about Chrishom and its rich cultural legacy. Part of that legacy is culinary and it continues today through recipes. The remnants of the this early Amish settlement survive today in the Trenton Mennonite Church nearby. This recipe comes from Becki Kennel of that church. This recipe is timely because, apparently mushrooms are the new kale...they are surging in popularity (I, for one, have always loved mushrooms!)
Chrisholm Collection: Stuffed Button Mushrooms
- 24 large button mushrooms
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 Tbsps. minced onion
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained, chopped fine
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Scrub mushrooms well, remove the stems
- Saute bacon until crisp, crumble
- Mince mushroom stems and sauté with onions in a little bacon grease.
- Put all ingredients together and mix well.
- Stuff mushroom caps with mixture and brush with butter.
- Broil until lightly browned.
- Prep time 20 minutes.
- Can freeze the mixture to fill the caps and do ahea
Leave a Reply