By Kevin Williams
Chicken and bacon is a combination that, at first glance, doesn't seem like it'd go together all that well. At least to me. Pork and poultry, you're mixing meats. I guess that's not much different analogously than mixing peas and corn. But, chicken and bacon?
There are many chicken bacon combinations popular in Amish homes. Now, this time of year, many Amish do grill their chicken outside because who wants all that heat in the house?
GRILLED CREAM CHEESE CHICKEN AND BACON
This chicken was smoked over a wood fire. They used a cut in half chicken breast, flattened it and spread cream cheese on top, wrapped it in bacon and held it with toothpicks. They recommend using onion and chive cream cheese for the best flavor, they experimented with multiple kinds (tough job!)
Thank you Jenny Hershberger for the photo! Hershberger is, by the way, a common Amish last name, I think there's Amish in her background somewhere.
Now, to our other recipes that are chicken and bacon buddies:
ONE-PAN SUPPER: SMOTHER AMISH CHICKEN AND BACON - Click here.
AMISH FARMHOUSE ROAST BACON CHICKEN - Click here.
AMISH CHICKEN WIGGLERS
- 3 pounds of diced chicken or chicken strips
- 3 onions
- 3 cups raw potatoes
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 3 cups carrots
- 3 cups peas
- 3 cups spaghetti
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 quarts tomatoes
- 1 pound grated cheese
- 9 slices of bacon
- Fry chicken and onions.
- Cook carrots and peas until tender and boil spaghetti until done..
- Put chicken and onions in the bottom of a roaster and then layer on cooked carrots, peas, celery, spaghetti, and potatoes.
- Mix in mushroom soup.
- Next, place fried bacon top.
- Then added tomatoes and grated cheese
- Bake at 350 for 90 minutes