Chicken Pot Pie With Cheddar Biscuits
This is a classic, yet creative, dish that comes to us from the Amish settlement of Choteau, Oklahoma. Chicken Pot Pie with Cheddar Biscuits is the merging of two near-perfect comfort classics: pot pie and Bisqucik biscuits. Dishes like these are common in Amish homes because they feed hungry appetites without breaking the bank. The addition of a “biscuity” topping makes this recipe amazing.
Of course most Amish cooks will use home-butchered fresh chicken and homegrown and home-canned corn and green beans. Potatoes would likely be harvested from their own gardens as well. So there’s a certain “freshness” that might be tough to replicate at home but you absolutely can use store-bought stuff for this recipe. Enjoy!
Chicken Pot Pie With Cheddar Biscuits is also a favorite among the Amish to take to church potlucks because you can easily double and triple the recipe and feed many people!
Serves: serves 8
- 4 cups cooked chicken pieces
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 /2 cup corn
- ½ cup green beans
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed and cooked
- Topping: 1 1 /2 cups Bisquick mix
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a heavy saucepan combine the first nine ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Transfer to a greased 9 X 13 inch pan.
- In a small bowl combine topping ingredients and spoon over top.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and biscuits are golden brown.